Title exam - an overview
Understanding the process and procedures involved in conducting a title examination in Illinois.
- Place to search, examination, indices
- Areas of exam
- Illinois Abstract College
Place to search, examination, indices
The chain of title will be searched using a minimum of: the County Recorder or Clerk offices, County Courthouse and State of Illinois databases. The period of exam varies depending purpose, you may want a deep search back through the Plat of Subdivision, or a more limited search through the last Warranty Deed. A more limited search is primarily for 2nd mortgages or refinances.
The search indices available avilable will depend on how the locality has organized their records. Cook County allows Recorder record search through parcel number as well as Grantor/Grantee. Other types of indices include, sole Grantor Index, Grantee Index as well as Plat Index.
Areas of exam
- Chain of title: per Recorder of Deeds or Clerk office.
- Courthouse issues: Judgements and pending civil suits, probate court
- Liens: Federal and State Tax Liens, Mechanics liens
- Taxes: Current Taxes and Delinquent Taxes
- Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)
- Illinois Secretary of State LLC/Corp search
Illinois Abstract College
Illinois Abstract College, is a brief course for searchers and abstractors. Outlining in greater detail how to conduct an Illinois abstract and exam. The course goes into detail regarding important Illinois Statutes, as well as, a technical look at abstracting.
The only research into this project has been from an Illinois perspective, and American Land Title Association best practices are subject to change. Please realize searching standards and abstracting standards are dependent where the parcel is located.